A teenager in HCMC was hospitalized for nausea, numbness and hallucinations 10 minutes after smoking marijuana.
The 15-year-old boy was taken to the Ho Chi Minh City Children’s Hospital on Tuesday with the above symptoms plus a headache, a representative from the hospital said.
The boy said he went out for a drink with a friend at a coffee shop in Binh Tan District. He then bought marijuana from an acquaintance at a nearby park for VND20,000 (85 cents).
This marijuana, also known as “U.S. weeds”, is a blend of multiple plant species and is included on Vietnam’s list of narcotics, meaning their use, storage, trade and transportation are forbidden by law.
This marijuana blend contains the compound XLR-11, a drug capable of inducing strong hallucinations. The blend itself could be mixed with other chemicals that may cause side effects like headache, diarrhea, fatigue and damage to the kidney and liver.
While the boy had been detoxed and discharged, complete removal of the toxins from the body could take up to a month, doctors said. In case hallucinations persist and his health turns for the worse, the boy should be taken to hospitals specializing in neurology for further treatment, they said.